QZAP is working with our technology partners at Open Flows to collect rainbow flags for Kouraj in Haiti.
As you celebrate queer/lgbt pride this month, please think about picking up a couple of extra cloth rainbow flags and sending them to us at QZAP. We'll get them to the awesome folks at Open Flows, and they'll get them to Kouraj.
QZAP 2935 N. Fratney St. Milwaukee, WI 53212 USA
Let's help these activists celebrate THEIR strength and pride!
Welcome to the new QZAP website!!! This has been many months in the making. We decided to launch it a little earlier than expected, but there you have it. We're still working on the new archive piece, so keep checking back for that. In the meantime, browsing for zines works pretty well, but we know that the search function is a bit wonky.
Anyway, happy new website to us.
$1,130 by August 1
$2,260 by November 1
Why those random numbers, you ask? Because on November 3, 2013, QZAP will be 10 years old! In that time we've been going strong and while our financial needs are modest, most of our expenditures are out-of-pocket from the collective members. This project started as a labor of love, and it certainly remains that. If you find QZAP useful, consider contributing a little back to help us thrive.
What your donations help QZAP achieve:
1) Operating expenses for QZAP HQ. The physical collection has moved into its own space and we need a bit every month to cover utilities and maintenance. We estimate those expenses to be about $100/mo. With this move we are able to host researchers and visitors, put on small workshops, and expand our collection.
2) Archiving! We're on the cusp of launching a new digital archive , completely revamping the current web site and making it much more amazing. The new site has much improved search, faceted browsing, and allows us to create digital exhibits, so we'll be able to highlight and present queer zines in totally different ways.
3) Office supplies. We've grown from our initial collection of about 300 queer zines to upwards of 1200, with more coming in all the time. We need to get more hanging files to house them all, and also need the various and sundry tools of the craft (staples, pencils, and glue sticks).
4) Propaganda. We want to put out more issues of QZAP:meta and print more regularly new batches of postcards, t-shirts, and buttons. Over the years we've seen great pictures of our "Zinesters Do It On The Photocopier" stickers at zine libraries around the world. We want to make more like that.
How will this work? Instead of using a third-party system like Kickstarter or IndieGoGo, we have decided to DIY the shit out of this fundraiser. To encourage your support, you can make a donation in different ways and we will offer premiums to give away. If we meet our goals we win, but if we miss we're still going to be able to get stuff done and you'll be supporting QZAP no matter what.
|$2-5||One of our cool QZAP buttons|
|$5-10||3 of our cool buttons|
|$10-25||All of our buttons and copies of zines made by collective members|
|$25-35||One of our "Read Queer Zines" t-shirts|
|$35-45||One of our t-shirts, the buttons, and a zine|
|$50-75||2 t-shirts (one for a friend, yo!), the buttons, and zines|
|$100||Same as above, plus something special (a numbered print, maybe?)|
We'll travel to you (within the US and Canada) and put on an event,
lead a workshop, make you dinner, and cat-sit if necessary.
Want to make a donation? Here's how:
- Well-concealed cash.
How about a gift card? If you want to help us with specific endeavors, you might send us a prepaid card for Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Utrecht, or Digicopy. For general purchases, a "non-reloadable prepaid" credit card (such as a Visa Gift Card) allows us to make on-line or in person purchases of needed supplies and materials.
If you're donating by mail, please fill out this form and send it along with your donation.
- PayPal - PP takes a little bite out of every transaction, but it works well and is secure. Use the link below.
- In-Kind Donation: In lieu of cash, do you have anything you'd like to give or donate outright to QZAP? Ask us if it's on our list of needs.
2935 N. Fratney St.
Milwaukee, WI 53212
OK, so this is almost two years old... we never did finish putting out QZAP:meta #5, so we're re-opening the call for submissions.
Submit an article or artwork for the next issue of QZAP:meta (the queer zine about queer zines.) Issue #5 is going to be "The Music Issue", and we're narrowing our focus a little for this one.
We're looking for articles and narratives about how queer zines and queer music connect. More specifically across genres like queercore/queerpunk, riot grrrl, and homo-hop, though please don't let that be the limit.
Some questions to think about:
- Did queer zines turn you on to certain bands or musicians?
- Did queer zines help to promote you or your band?
- In the age of the internet, MySpace, iTunes, etc. what and how do musicians and zines interact?
- What about fanzines? Do they still exist? Any stories about fanzines specifically?
Other narratives about going to shows, getting or giving zines, etc. are also encouraged.
Ideally we're looking for between 1000 and 3000 words (roughly 2-5 pages), or grayscale images at 300dpi or higher.
Deadline for this issue is February 15th, 2013. We're hoping to get it printed by the beginning of March, 2013. All submitters will get a copy of the zine and a cute QZAP button.